WordPress is an awesome CMS (Content Management System). It is widely used because of its simple to understand functions and efficient SEO features. Though it is SEO friendly, it isn’t perfect. It’s not enough to rely on its features and functionalities to make the pages of your WordPress website rank high in Google and other Internet search engines for your target keywords. Found below are simple and reliable tips on how to optimize your WordPress website for SEO.
1. Improve your site title for SEO. The title of your site will instantly communicate the benefits of the content on your site to your target viewers. If your site title includes one or two of your relevant target keywords, then search engine robots can easily identify the subject areas relevant to the content of your website.
2. Sitemap.xml. This is a map of the pages of your website and the keywords relevant to the content of each page. This will help search engine robots easily crawl the pages of your website and index it under the most relevant topics and sub topics related to your target keywords and page content. You can improve your sitemap.xml further for SEO by submitting it to your Google Webmaster Tools account.
3. Effective keyword research. Targeting keywords that are most specifically relevant to the content of your website will be beneficial for you, especially if those keywords are actually used by a lot of people interested in the topics and sub topics covered by your website content, products and services.
4. Develop site content useful for your target audience. Package it in ways that your viewers can easily relate to. Provide benefits in the form of info, tips, strategies, techniques and utility that can help them solve their urgent concerns and needs. You will gain natural inbound links because people share useful content with their family, friends, colleagues and other contacts.
5. Build backlinks. Posting backlinks on contextually irrelevant pages of low niche authority websites won’t provide you with optimal SEO benefits. Imagine posting useful content with links pointing to additional resources of useful content offering benefits not found in the posted content on contextually relevant pages of high niche authority websites regularly visited by a lot of people interested in the content of your website. They will go to those linked pages. They will also link to your posted content page and to the pages of your website.
6. Page titles. Make sure to change the default permalinks structure of WordPress. You can do this by logging into your WordPress admin panel and clicking permalinks. Your permalink structure should be your post title, though you can also include the category and post title together.
Alex is a journalist and blogger. He writes on everything from SEO to design and writes a consumer blog for Coupon Croc .